Don’t be afraid to volunteer. We need YOU! There are so many children in need. This is a huge problem all over the world, but you can be part of the solution right here! BHA offers a variety of areas where you can offer your time and services. When you volunteer your time for a good cause, the rewards are far greater than the time and work put in. It gives you hope that this world is still a beautiful place. Don’t hesitate to pass on that hope – you can be the next person to make a big difference in a child’s life.
Volunteer Opportunitiesback to top
The following is a list of some of the possibilities that will exist at Bethany House Academy Pre/After School Program:
• Tutors (grades Pre-K-12) specializing in Math and English/Literacy) Preschool tutors/instructors are needed Monday –Friday from 10:00am-12pm or 12:30pm-2:00pm
After-school tutors are needed Monday-Thursday from 3:30pm-4:30pm
• Project coordinators (bulletin boards, holiday parties, field trips)
• Clerical (front desk to answer phones/file papers during afternoon hours) Monday-Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm and Friday from 9:00am-2:00pm
• Kitchen helpers (assist during meals) Preschool only Monday-Friday 11:30am-12:30pm
• Activities coordinator (organization of games) After-school only Monday-Thursday 3:00pm-6:00pm
• Technology instructors (Mac/PC) Mac only instructors can do Preschool and After-school
• Entrepreneur trainers Afterschool only (maybe 1 or 2 days per week)
• Gardening pros (This is the one area we are very confident in since we are working closely with our African neighbors) However if there are folks that know how to can produce for storage that would be a great help or can teach some of the science (i.e., ph levels, best compost practice(s), etc.)
• Preschool educators Monday –Friday from 10:00am-12pm or 12:30pm-2:00pm
• Reading instructors Preschool Monday –Friday from 10:00am-12pm or 12:30pm-2:00pm
After-School Monday-Thursday from 3:30pm-4:30pm
• Art/Crafts instructors Monday-Thursday from 3:30pm-5:00pm
Contact Us For More Information
Volunteer Responsibilitiesback to top
Reliability is one of the most important requirements of a volunteer. It is important to arrive at the appointed time on your scheduled day as the children and teachers will be counting on you.
If you cannot come as scheduled, please call the Program Director. Please do not feel you must come to the program if you are sick.
There will be occasions when schedule changes, absences of particular children, conditions of equipment, or availability of materials make adjustments necessary. Being able to change plans, alter programs and shift assignments is an advantage to you and to the program.
It is very important that you keep information about children confidential. Please speak with the teacher or director about any issue you may encounter with the children.
Just as you are asked to respect the confidentiality of the child’s progress, you are also asked to be respectful of the teachers. Please do not publicly question or criticize the teacher or the methods used. If you have questions about methods or programs, privately ask the teacher about them. We are open and will be respectful to any suggestions.
Daily Proceduresback to top
All volunteers must sign in upon entering the building at the front desk.
Smoking or using any kind of tobacco product is prohibited on all Bethany House Academy property including vehicles.
Only emergency telephone calls should be made. Personal calls while volunteering are discouraged.
Volunteers should always work with children in areas that are in sight of staff.
It is understood that there may be times when volunteers are not able to come to the program. Please leave message or email the Director or Volunteer Coordinator that you are not able to come in.